Saturday, March 8, 2014

Temptation and Potato Salad

-->


Day 2:   

12662497905_a46010ea8d
Photo Credit
Temptation is always around.  Always.  Day 2 of Lent just happened to fall on my Friday (I now have a Sunday-Thursday work week).  For those of you that don’t teach school, Thursday afternoon at 3pm is a magical time.  The excitement in the air is actually palpable. The weekend is finally here!  Just imagine how excited and relieved you are on Friday, minutes before that end of the workweek and amplify that by thousands of students buzzing in the hallways.  It is a pretty wonderful time.  A moment when anything can happen, the promise of fun to be had is being made.  Where will this weekend take me?  What type of fun is just around the corner?

On this particular Thursday, as I was high on the fumes of promise I met a friend in the hallways. 

“A bunch of us are going to eat dinner tonight at a new Mexican restaurant.  You in?” 

“Holy hell, I love Mexican food! I am SO in!”

“Cool, we are going to smoke shisha first and then head over to eat.  I’ll call you and let you know the details.”

“Sweet.  Oh shit!  I gave up eating out for Lent.  Shit!” 

“Well, I owe you 12KD, what if I just pay for you.”

“Hmmm…that could work.  No.  No.  No.  Then I would technically be paying for myself.  Shit.  I can’t cheat on the SECOND DAY!”

“Cool.  I’ll call you later and we’ll get drunk.”

“Sounds like a fair consolation prize to me!”


Dang that is a lot of mayonnaise!
To kill the time I decided to make potato salad.  This was an epic undertaking as I was making potato salad for 100.  Off to the bakala to get potatoes: pounds. Eggs: 18. Mayonnaise: 4 jars.  Onions:  4.  Then it was back home to peel, chop, boil, and combine. The entire process ended with a pan of potato salad that weighed about as much as a toddler and it was good.  Damn good!  Two days later,  my apartment still smells like onions and I am firmly atop the Lent Wagon! 







Bakala Total:  9.600KD  ($34.15) Dang that potato salad was expensive!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, why were you making potato salad for 100???

    ReplyDelete